How bad is chocolate for my Frenchie?
If there’s one thing you need to know about Frenchies and human food then it’s how dangerous, toxic, and poisonous chocolate can be for dogs.
Can French Bulldogs eat chocolate?
No, French Bulldogs must never eat chocolate. Chocolate contains theobromine which is toxic to dogs. They cannot metabolise it quickly, so it builds up to dangerous levels in their system. In more serious cases, chocolate can lead to a canine fatality.
Is chocolate poisonous and toxic for dogs?
In large quantities, chocolate is poisonous for dogs. It contains not just caffeine which can speed up their heart rate, but also a toxic component called theobromine. Dogs cannot process theobromine effectively, meaning it gets to dangerously high levels in their body and can also affect their nervous system.
How dangerous is chocolate to a French Bulldog?
If large amounts of chocolate are eaten (I explain how much is too much further down the page) then the worst-case scenario can be fatal.
Chocolate poisoning can lead to seizures, internal bleeding, and heart attacks.
What happens when a French Bulldog eats chocolate?
Just a small amount of chocolate can give your French Bulldog an upset stomach. You might find them vomiting and retching, plus has diarrhoea to contend with.
After a few days they should recover.
However, with large amounts of chocolate, particularly dark chocolates with higher concentrations of theobromine, you will see more serious symptoms of poisoning.
Symptoms of theobromine poisoning in dogs
The signs of theobromine poisoning will occur between 4 and 24 hours after eating chocolate and include:
- Vomiting or diarrhoea.
- Rapid breathing.
- Restlessness or hyperactivity.
- Tremors or incoordination.
- Increased heart rate.
The bottom line is this; if you have a small dog like a Frenchie and they have eaten a large amount of chocolate, go to the vets. With dark chocolate, even if it’s just a small amount, exercise caution and still talk with a professional.